Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bullhorn: Template Letter from Small Business Owner

Do you or someone you know run a business? This is the letter template for them. A CEO recently submitted similar copy to their State Senators and US Congressman. I think it's pretty strong. Feel free to use and customize to meet your needs.

IF YOU HAVE A TEMPLATE THAT WORKS FOR YOU, EITHER AS A CITIZEN, OR A BUSINESS OWNER, PLEASE SUBMIT TO COMMENTS SECTION AND I CAN MAKE AVAILABLE FOR OTHERS TO USE AS WELL

Representative:

I live and run a company in your district. We employ approximately [insert number here] individuals here. I need you to vote “NO” to America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009. Please consider the following:

1. According to the Congressional Budget Office, this legislation will continue to increase our federal deficit. I do not run my home or company budget by spending money I do not have. The government should do the same.

2. A far-reaching government plan will not bring costs down. Consumerism will. I [insert your own story here. I will leave previous copy here for review] offer TWO medical insurance options to my employees through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. At least 75% of my eligible employees take coverage in Austin and Dallas. We control the cost of these premiums and the dollars spent by our insurance company, by offering a consumer-driven, high-deductible plan with a Health Savings Account as one of coverage options. More than 50% of our employees choose this plan. Why? Because it’s affordable (less than $40 per month for individual), it covers them in case of a catastrophe and has them control where they spend money for medical care. We have offered this plan for three years and it’s a win for our company, a win for the employees and a win for our insurance provider.

3. Small companies are going to get the target for the increase costs of this program, in the form of taxes and penalties. I cannot stand by idly and allow yet another tax to impact the fiscal performance, profitability, and growth of my company. There are rumors that the “pre-tax” status of my employees’ medical premiums will be erased under this plan. This is an outrage. Not only will this increase my state and federal payroll tax burden, it will also reduce the take-home pay of my employees. This is shameful.

4. Your colleague Rep. Wally Herger, R-Calif. was recently quoted in an AP article as saying … "We shouldn't have to resurrect the 1970s to remember that when tax rates go too high, people lose the incentive to build new businesses and create jobs.” As a small business owner, I couldn’t agree more.

This is legislation that is overreaching, dictatorial and controlling. As a business owner, I need to be free of more bureaucracy so I can grow my business and hire more employees and offer them insurance. Please understand the ramifications of this bill and vote “NO” to HR 3200 and ask your fellow members in Congress to do the same.

Sincerely,


[business owner]

No comments:

Post a Comment